Route Description for the Amashova Durban Classic 106km, 65km and 38km
1. Start outside Pietermaritzburg City Hall under the Comrades Gantry
2. Start in Chief Albert Luthuli Street (Commercial Rd) Pietermaritzburg.
3. Turn Right into Alexander Rd.
4. Continue up Fox Hill onto the R103.
5. Turn Left at R56 to Thornville via the R603 to Camperdown.
6. The first water point is situated outside the Thornville Chicken Farm.
7. The route continues towards the Umlaas Road intersection.
8. The cyclists will take a hard right turn and ride under the railway bridge.
9. Approximately 500m the route takes a left turn onto the R103 to Camperdown.
10. The route will cross over the N3 into Camperdown.
11. The cyclists take a sharp right turn and then another sharp right about 100m further along.
12. The route then takes a left turn that takes them out of the Camperdown Village onto the R103.
13. The cyclists will take a hard right turn over the N3 again and then immediately a sharp left at the tall gum trees and go parallel to the N3.
14. The cyclists go straight into Doonrug Drive and turn first right into Vrijheid Avenue at Cato Ridge
15. They will turn first left into Drew Lane
16. The 65km Half Challenge will start in Drew Lane outside George Cato Primary School
17. Cyclists will turn left into School Road
18. Left into Selby Road and come out under the subway. They will turn right at the four way stop when they see Dunbar Spar in front of them.
19. The second water point is outside Eskom.
20. The race continues long the R103 through Harrisons Flats.
21. At R103/ Inchanga/Drummond/1000 Hills the race turns left onto the R103.
22. The route passes the Comrades Marathon Wall of Honour. This is where the third Water Point is situated.
23. The route then passes Kearsney College, where the route rapidly begins the decent with a very fast downhill section down Botha’s Hill.
24. The cyclists will take a right turn into Kassier Road.
25. They then link up with the M13 at Shongweni where the route takes a right turn onto the M13 Highway. Cyclists will switch to the contra flow side of the M13 at this point.
26. The 38km Fun Ride will join the cycle race at this point
27. The cyclists continue along the M13, which includes the descent down Fields Hill.
28. The route then becomes Jan Smuts Highway.
29. This is followed by a sharp descent, at the bottom of Jan Smuts Highway where cyclists must turn SHARP LEFT to enter the outbound lanes of the Western Freeway or N3.
30. They will continue along the N3 and at the crest of the last remaining hill underneath the Tollgate Bridge.
31. The route takes the cyclist down Pine Street to a left turn in Walnut Road and straight onto Masabalala Yengwa Avenue (NMR Avenue) southbound. The finish line is in Masabalala Yengwa Avenue (NMR Avenue) southbound under the pedestrian bridge that connects Mustering Fields to People’s Park
32. Cyclists will ride on past Battery Beach Road and turn right onto the boardwalk opposite Moses Mabhida Stadium
33. The final water point and medal hand out will be on the boardwalk before the subway
34. Cyclists will ride under the subway and turn right and cycle towards the Suncoast Globe where after race hospitality will be held.